The age of funky hair color is not ending anytime soon. Whether you’ve got mermaid hair or sporting one of the many looks of Katy Perry, rainbow locks aren’t going anywhere.
They may, however, color more of your life than you bargained for–clothing, bathtubs, towels and pillowcases and any other porous surfaces that come in contact with your noggin–but whyyyyyy?
1. Most funky colors are a semi permanent. Semi’s are a little different because they don’t use a developer, meaning most of the color molecules cling to the outside of the hair, literally staining the hair strand. When hair is wet, either after washing or when sweating, the color can simply wash away.
2. Maaaaaybe when you color it you don’t fulling rinse the first time. It’s happened to all of us. Don’t sweat it when a little rubs off on your bath towel
3. Bleaching your hair has weakened its outer cuticle layer, allowing color to literally fall out when water passes through the hair.
Here’s the thing–
Cooling and drying hair closes the cuticle, and keeps color hangin’ tight. Moisture and heat open the cuticle, causing color loss, and that’s the miracle of trichology.
Luckily there are a few tips for minimizing color leakage.
1. Dry hair before bed, and be careful when dressing.
2. Coat hair is a hair oil to help seal in color, AND replenish moisture.
3. Or try a silicone coating heat protectant.
4. Your best bet is wrapping your head in a silk scarf that will keep color in and prevent hair from drying out. (a cotton scarf will have the opposite effect)
When all is said and done a little extra care means no crying over a rainbow bathtub.
Peace. Love. and Bobby Pins.